In this post, we learn what adverbs of manner are, and where to place them in a sentence. There is a lesson on all types of adverbs attached at the end of the post, you can scroll down to it directly and learn all types of adverbs.
What is an adverb of manner?
Definition: an adverb of manner is a type of an adverb that indicates how we perform an action. Adverbs of manner describe the manner in which an action is done.
- What you do, do it passionately. (with a lot of passion)
- Hold the box carefully. It might break as it’s fragile. (in a careful manner)
- Jon does his work honestly. (with honestly)
- She angrily left the place. (in an angry manner)
- You danced beautifully last night. (in a beautiful way)
- Touch it gently. (in a gentle/kind manner)
- The students are eagerly waiting to start the new program. (in a manner that shows you are eager or excited)
- They are eating peacefully. (In a peaceful manner)
- She was talking to me awkwardly last night. (in a strange/awkward manner)
- The man living next to my house openly confessed that he had stolen my car. (without hiding anything)
- We have been waiting patiently for our turn. (in a way that shows patience or tolerance)
Adverbs of manner not ending with ‘ly’
Hard, Fast and Well are the adverbs of manner that don’t end with ‘ly’.
- He kicked the ball hard.
- Jacob runs fast.
- You did well in the test.
Position of adverbs of manner
Adverbs of places can take the following places in a sentence:
- After the object of the verb
- Right before the verb
- At the beginning of a sentence
After the object of a verb
This is the most common position adverbs of manner take in a sentence. Here are some examples:
- She was touching me awkwardly.
- You handled the case boldly.
- I was expecting you to run away cowardly.
- Tell us everything honestly.
If the verb is intransitive, meaning it does not have an object after it, the adverb of manner comes after the verb.
- She sang beautifully last night.
- The manager speaker rudely to all the employees.
- The lady coughed loudly in front of the food.
- After the class ended, the kids ran hastily towards the ice cream man.
Right before the verb
Adverbs of manner, sometimes, are used before the verb to emphasize on the adverb. Here are the some examples:
- We nervously opened the box.
- He angrily left the class.
- The old lady gently held the baby in her hands and starte playing with it.
- We clearly won the watch.
At the beginning of a sentence
When you want to catch the attention of your readers or listeners and create suspense around the information, you can use adverbs of manner at the beginning of a sentence.
- Slowly he moves his hands towards the chocolate.
- Cowardly he turns down the fights.
- Hastily he ran after the bus.
A list of adverbs of manner
Adverb phrases of manner
- She was singing with a lot of passion.
- He talks to people in a low voice.
- Swati sings like a professional singer.
You can form an adverb phrase of manner by using ‘very/extremely/so + regular adverb of manner’. Here are some examples:
- She talks with everyone very passionately.
- Why are you eating so loudly?
- Everyone talks with him extremely respectfully.
Adverb clauses of manner
Adverb clauses of manner are dependent clauses that work as an adverb of manner. Here are some examples:
- You are talking to me like I am a baby.
- I feel as strong as you are.
Feel free to correct any typing mistake you come across. Share the post wit others to help them.